My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.28.2003

Refugees Tents Blow Away

From Middle East Council of Churches at http://www.mecchurches.org/posandpress/news.
Situation on the Jordanian Border and in Camps A and B
(Attached report by Chris Doyle)
We’ve left this report intact in order to maintain the level of detail that is present it. It provides good background the situation on the Iraqi/Jordanian border by first-hand witness, as well as a level of detail that may be valuable to some partners.

As follow-up note to this report, Edmond Adam had the latest update on the situation in Camps A and B, especially following the stormy weather that swept through the entire region. He said yesterday, Thursday March 27, that "in Jordan, due to severe weather conditions at Ruweished, both camps suffered terribly and most of the tents were blown away. No Iraqi refugees came into Jordan so far.
Cheesus H Krist

Another relief agency in Iraq can be found at www.icrc.org (International Red Cross) They have an interesting blog that gives a realistic picture of injured, state of hospitals, water, food, and refugee info. They have a registry to help people find their loved ones, too.

The news coverage thus far has rendered me frustrated for obvious reasons. I prefer reading the relief angencies daily reports. For me they give a much more reaistic overview of how the war affects people and families. The tactical warblogs are interesting, but are all based on "reports". I trust the news from these ageniceis because they have higher ethical standars to preserve the humanitarian cause than a newspaper can ever do. I find it fascinating what kind of food they have available, what illnesses are popping up and the extent of injuries sustained by civilians. I guess it is my environmental health background that pulls me to these relief agencies. It just seems more real to me when I can read what their daily lives are like. I refuse to dehumanize myself and disassociate myself. Having your child killed accidently, is THE most horrible agony of a parent. I imagine a collective grief that we all need to tap into to supply the grievers with comfort. Whether your child dies in service, accidently or otherwise, the global communities cociousness can overcome this if we work together.

No comments: