My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

12.06.2003

Singing: Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true...........................................Led Zeppelin

In Season: All the President's jobs, Christmas lights


Alter-Abled News

The second annual Oregon Medical Cannabis Awards was a success despite last minute attempts by the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) to prevent it!

There was a highly visible Portland Police Bureau presence throughout the entire event. There were officers present before the Organizing Committee even arrived, and at least one officer was still at the Double Tree until 11:30 pm!
(link)



ACTION ALERT: PROTECT FREE SPEECH AND YOUR WALLET

Congress Wants to Tape Your Mouth Shut, Steal Your Wallet

Congress to ban private advertising in support of marijuana law reform
At same time, to spend $145 million in tax money on government
anti-marijuana ads. It's finally happened. Not content with arresting 700,000 Americans a
year for marijuana offenses, Congress now wants to make it illegal even
to talk about marijuana. Drug war extremists are trying to ban private
advertising on buses, subways, or trains that calls for the reform of
marijuana laws. Worse still, the same bill also spends $145 million in
taxpayer money on anti-marijuana government propaganda.
(link from Drug Policy Alliance)



Gop Saves Medicare.....good op/ed via Genfoods.net



Tax helps state’s uninsured

JOHN KITZHABER, M.D.
December 6, 2003

Opponents of the Legislature’s bipartisan balanced-budget plan have gathered enough signatures to refer it to a February 2004 election as Measure 30. If the balanced budget is overturned, 85,000 Oregonians will lose their health-care coverage under the Oregon Health Plan.
(link)

I will be losing my health care coverage at the end of this month. I make too much money on federal disability to qualify for the Oregon Health Plan. Like I mentioned before, this will be a critical issue influencing my final decision on how to spend my vote next year, for the presidential election. Here is an interesting idea: A Medicare-focused attack on Bush could succeed for two reasons: The plan is complex and many seniors will be worse off than if there were no change in the law. (link)

...........As I used to work at the Environmental Protection Agency, in my past working life, the candidate's position on the environment is of interest to me. I found this overview recently from In These Times:

Each of the Democratic candidates would do a superior job to President Bush at stewarding the environment. But will they get the chance? Polls show that while Americans care deeply about the environment, it’s far below their top priorities: job creation and the economy. Democrats would be smart to talk about clean energy investments leading to good union jobs. Here’s an overview of candidate positions.


If my blog was a Hollywood screenplay........................................

FADE IN.

INT. FLOWER SHOP

WINONA RYDER and DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM are selling flowers.

WINONA RYDER

You know, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM, sometimes I think I should give up my independent florist ways and settle down with a decent man who will take care of me.

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

There was a highly visible Portland Police Bureau presence throughout the entire event.

WINONA RYDER nods in thought.

WINONA RYDER

Hmmmm.... I'd never thought of it like that before. Maybe I will keep this flower shop and not fall in love.

Suddenly, TOM HANKS comes into the shop. He is not impressed with the flowers on offer.

TOM HANKS

Look here, WINONA RYDER. I am not impressed with the flowers on offer here. Your flower shop is stupid.

He leaves.

WINONA RYDER

How incredibly arrogant that TOM HANKS is! I don't like him one bit.

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

I just hope this law doesnt prevent some isolated, alter-abled folks from getting out of the house, occasionally.

WINONA RYDER

That's exactly what I was thinking DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM. Come on, let's continue our work as florists.

CUT TO.

INT. A COCKTAIL PARTY

WINONA RYDER and DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM are enjoying themselves at a cocktail party. WINONA RYDER is talking to a handsome man while DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM is also making small talk with a member of the opposite sex.

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

Transportation companies include Ford, Chrysler, UPS, Fed Ex, Delta, Continental, Southwest, and Enterprise.

MEMBER OF THE OPPOSITE SEX

Hahahahahahaha!! Oh, how frightfully witty. Shame on you, WINONA RYDER for not introducing me to DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM sooner.

WINONA RYDER

I knew you two would get along famously. Now, why don't we all head out onto the dance floor and lambada?

Before they can do so, there is a tap on her shoulder. She whirls around to find TOM HANKS smiling charmingly.

TOM HANKS

Hello, WINONA RYDER. Perhaps you'd care to dance with me instead?

WINONA RYDER

No I most certainly would not, TOM HANKS! I doubt I would ever fall in love with you.

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

Ladies with numerous crinkly plastic bags, hustle their butts in shopping nirvana.

Everybody laughs.

TOM HANKS

... as the actor said to the bishop.

Everybody laughs even more.

WINONA RYDER

(eyelashes a-flutter)

Oh, TOM HANKS, how excitingly quick-witted you are. I think I shall fall in love with you. Who would have thought that would ever happen, what with my instant dislike of you when first we met?

FADE TO.

INT. MASSAGE PARLOUR.

WINONA RYDER and DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM are receiving massages and talking.

WINONA RYDER

TOM HANKS and I stayed up all night last night just talking. It turns out that we're both enormous fans of Jon Bon Jovi. I feel like I'm in that beautiful Shakespearean love sonnet. You know the one, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

Peter DeFazio's prescription calculator, calculates prescription coverage under the new Medicare Bill.

WINONA RYDER

No, not that one. The other one. Oh, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM, TOM HANKS makes my heart swoon so.

The masseurs start pounding their backs.

WINONA RYDER

Oh. That feels good. (pauses) Gee, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM, I have never felt this way about a man before. Do you have any advice for me?

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

All her family suffered with the illness which passed from generation to generation.

WINONA RYDER

I hope you're right, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM I'll keep that in mind.

FADE TO.

EXT. A PARK BENCH

WINONA RYDER is crying. DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM is consoling her.

WINONA RYDER

I can't believe we accidentally saw TOM HANKS out with another woman! I thought he loved me. You were closest to the two of them, what was he saying to her?

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

I still eat beef occasionally, yet avoid sheep brains at all costs.

WINONA RYDER bursts into renewed tears. TOM HANKS comes running up to them.

WINONA RYDER

I don't want to talk to you, TOM HANKS. I heard what you were saying to that horrible other woman.

TOM HANKS

But WINONA RYDER, this is all a ghastly misunderstanding of some kind.

WINONA RYDER

Leave me alone. I have a broken heart.

TOM HANKS

I guess I will take that job in that other country then.

TOM HANKS leaves

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

The stress of being able to afford numerous prescription drugs is weighing heavily on my thoughts lately.

WINONA RYDER

Thank you, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM. That's just what I needed to hear now that I have a broken heart. No wonder you are my best friend.

CUT TO.

EXT. A ROAD

WINONA RYDER and DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM are driving as fast as they can in WINONA RYDER's car.

WINONA RYDER

Oh, why won't this car go any faster? We have to get to the next train station in time to intercept TOM HANKS before he leaves forever.

She accelerates.

WINONA RYDER

If only I'd got his letter that explained how our breaking up was all just a ghastly misunderstanding sooner. Read me the PS again, DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

DIALAGER.BLOGSPOT.COM

(reading)

Below I have priced all the prescription drugs I am currently prescribed.

WINONA RYDER

I still don't understand what he meant by that.

They drive faater and faster and eventually make it to the train station in time. They rush onto the train and find TOM HANKS.



No comments: