My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.31.2005

Song in my head : It's my party and I'll cry if I want to......................................Lesley Gore


Jimmy-Jeff Gannon, white house reporter and sex worker extraordinaire, explained brilliantly. Who in the White House fell in love with him?

I am convinced Bulldog got into the press corps because someone was deeply in love with him, i.e, with the fantasy he provides. Others in the game saw what he could be used for. Jeff's client wanted more of Jeff, he wanted preferential status, he wanted promises. Gannon, like any pro with a big fish on the line, was growing weary of diamonds and furs. -LINK-

This theory makes sense. A lot of sense. Once again, it's not who ya know, it's who ya blow.

ALTER-ABLED NEWS

A sane parity bill for mental health coverage for Oregonians.

The Oregon Senate approved a bill Monday requiring insurers to cover mental illness and drug abuse "at the same level as" physical ailments such as diabetes or broken bones. -LINK-

Brilliant! Our bodys and minds finally receive equal treatment.

But wait...the author states...

Backers hailed the 23-6 vote as a bipartisan blow to mental illness as a stigma and a step toward equity in health coverage.

It's only a stigma if you allow it to be. I disagree with this negative self defeating rhetoric applied to a medical condition where our brain neurons fire a little differently than others. Feeling shame over a medical condition diminishes one's life to misery. It certainly is not worth the effort in my opinion. Open discussions, like this post below, are much needed affirmations of a common human condition....depression..........

Like Prof B, I suffer from chronic depression, though, also like Prof B, it's obviously not debilitating. It just sucks. And while I'm not sure what choices she's made in her non-anonymous life, I chose long ago to mention this very seldom and to very few people. (If you're not sure why, go ahead and let your boss know that you're a chronic depressive and see what happens. For many people, their careers would be over.) I know from experience that my moods change, and while my mood is never what you'd call ebullient, the depressive cycles always eventually give way to something that's at least neutral. While I'm in a down cycle, though, I'm very conscious that I'm in the grip of bad brain chemistry, and my way of coping is to keep myself under very tight control. Don't react. Minimize human contact. Under no circumstances lose control of my temper. -LINK-

I love Oregon's vote by mail system. As an alter-abled adult with chronic pain and fatigue I am delighted that I do not have to stress about driving and leaving the house on election day if I am having a bad pain episode. This article from Oregon's state capital's newspaper The Statesman's Journal publicizes alternate voting devices for the disabled alter-abled. I am considering getting a large print ballot for the next election and/or a large print Voter's Guide. This one eye of mine is getting tired of doing the work of two.


Voting devices enabling people with disabilities to cast ballots privately and independently will be displayed Monday at the Capitol. The event will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the first-floor galleria.
Nine vendors will display voting systems that will enable Oregon to comply with requirements in a 2002 federal law known as the Help America Vote Act. People with disabilities are invited to try the devices. "Having it in the Capitol also heightens the awareness of legislators, the public and other advocacy groups," said Frank Garcia Jr., federal program manager for the secretary of state.

Gracia Hillman, who leads the U.S. Election Assistance Commission that was created by the 2002 law, is scheduled to attend. Congress passed the law in the aftermath of the 2000 presidential-election fiasco in Florida. In addition to a statewide voter-registration system, the law ensures equal access to voting for people with disabilities.
-LINK-