My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

5.08.2005



Song in my head: Women is the slave to the slaves....Yes she is...if you believe me....you better scream about it.........John Lennon


"Your children are not your children. They come through you but not from you. You may give them your love but not your thoughts, for they have their own thoughts."

~Kahlil Gibran


This is how we treat low income mothers in Oregon. While you're enjoying your Mimosa at Mother's Day brunch...................... From BlueOregon:

A day for mothers


guest column
By Margaret Ramirez of Sandy, Oregon who describes herself as "a low income single mom on public assistance and a hopeful investigator/journalist and righter of wrongs."


I have lost basic civil liberties and rights to privacy, unwarranted search and seizure, freedom of speech and autonomy.


I am required to report and provide verification for every intimate detail of my private life.

I am subject to random drug testing, and must submit a urine sample on demand.

I can be investigated at any time and for any reason without probable cause. A surprise home 'visit' can be conducted in which my 'environment' is inspected and, of course, judged. Not even the contents of my refrigerator are sacred.

My doctor, landlord, my children's schools and my neighbors have all been interviewed to verify information the authorities have deemed suspect.

I have to put in 30 hours per week of assigned, unpaid service in the community, and am required to participate in mental health and alcohol and drug services, as well.

So... Who Am I?

Am I a convicted criminal, out on probation, parole or perhaps work release? Am I a meth or heroin addict in treatment or rehab? Am I an abusive or neglectful parent attempting to regain custody of my children in foster care?
Read more......