My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

5.03.2007



Phuck This Noise

I tried and I tried and I tried and I tried but my Medicare part D coverage still got all messed up for the month of May. I am referring to switching my Medicare prescription drug plan and Medicare supplemental policy over since I moved. I am officially without any prescription drug coverage because I can't be officially enrolled in a new health plan until June 1. Why? Because Medicare has this rule that all new Advantage health plans with prescription drug coverage can't be enrolled (if by enrollment you mean pay a monthly premium so the pharmaceutical and insurance companies can make huge profit margins off of my chronically ill ass) until the beginning of each month. I found this out today after researching plans for two weeks, reading the 2007 Medicare booklet, (if by booklet you mean this useless peice of trash put out by our fucking government that nowhere states there is a 30 day minimum) talking to a State Health Insurance Benefits Assistance volunteer, and spending two hours with an insurance agent on Monday. No one told me I had a time limit. I even brought my Medicare booklet into my new health insurance agent's office and he could not find one citation that says I must enroll by the first to get continued coverage and he is a trained professional.

I still have Medicare Part A and B, in case something catastrophic happens, but I have no prescription drug coverage and have to pay full price for one month. I spent a lot of time on this project and I'm so pissed that I have a coverage lapse. I called the State Health Insurance Benefits Assistance Program and talked to a very supportive women who said the rules of switching plans were poorly defined in the Medicare booklet. She suggested I contact my county health department to get some assistance in obtaining my prescriptions which retail about $400 a month.

This whole Medicare prescription coverage sucks ass and even trained insurance professionals find the whole process complex. Time for Annie to write some letters to Congressman Peter DeFazio. I'm not sitting idly by without coverage while my elected representatives get health coverage without such stupid and complicated rules.


No comments: