My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.23.2010

The Last Kiss On The Cheek

Kids who lose parents still grieve as adults

But not all of the one in seven Americans who lose a parent or sibling before the age of 20 learn to cope the way Sullivan has.

In fact, 73 percent of adults believe that their lives would have been "much better" had their loved ones not died when they were young, according to a survey released Monday by Comfort Zone Camp, a nonprofit provider of childhood bereavement camps, and Matthew Greenwald and Associates Inc. CNN Link
It has taken me a lifetime to learn how to deal with my Dad's tragic death. Now they have grief counseling for families of police officers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice and lost their lives on duty. Shock, disbelief, denial, anger are all stages I have had to learn and relearn as an adult. Ahh sweet acceptance might take a long time to come but that's when you realize the gift you have been given. I can truly empathize with anyone going through the grieving process. Besides, it doesn't matter how long the process takes..the process is unique as each one of us, just as long as you work on feeling and releasing the pain.

No comments: