My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

1.11.2016

Chronic Wasting Disease in Texas Deer Could Potentially Harm Hunting Industry


State officials moved quickly. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, working with the Texas Animal Health Commission, set up new rules limiting when and how breeders could move deer, and began requiring more testing, which requires killing the deer to obtain brain tissue samples.
“They want you to kill the herd and test them for just in case,” said deer breeder Mike Wood. “That makes no sense…. I said I’m just not going to do it.”
 But as the late fall openings of white-tailed deer seasons approach, many in the industry are chafing under the new rules, claiming the state has overreacted and might do more harm to their livelihoods than the disease itself.   LINK


No comments: