My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

10.09.2003

Song in my Head: Don't want to be your monkey wrench, one more indecent accident, I'd rather leave than suffer this, I'll never be your monkey wrench......Foo Fighters

In Season: pumpkin patches, exploding cellphones, hungry Oregonians


Alter-Abled News

In a finding that backs up motherly advice to get a good night's sleep, scientists have found that peaceful slumber apparently restores memories that were lost during a hectic day
(link)

Sleep deprivation has profound effects, I'm sure. I feel as exhausted as a new mother, without the bundle of joy. Besides nail-patella syndrome, I have myofacial pain syndrome/fibromyalgia which affects my sleep. I dream too much, in other words have long periods of REM sleep. My dreams are epic, involved, and exhausting. From The American Psychoanalytic Association's Current Ideas about REM Sleep, Dreams, and Dreaming

What is REM sleep?
In 1953 neuroscientists discovered a physiological state which occurs periodically during sleep (every 90 minutes). There is a heightened brain activation during this time including a burst of rapid eye movement (REM), increased breathing and heart rate, genital engorgement, and paralysis of bodily movement (the person is highly aroused yet fast asleep).



From The Corvallis-Gazette-Times:

$5 million grant will bring about a national-first research center

Oregon State University will use a $5 million grant from the National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research to create the nation's first research center focused on making transportation more accessible.

Nice.


No comments: