My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.11.2005



Song in my head: But still they lead me back......to the long winding road...............The Beatles


Pardon the blogging phunk. Due to unseasonably warm and dry....yes...dry, weather, my time has been spent uncovering the daffodils and wild violets from under leaves from an old oak tree . It's hard to complain about 70 degree days and sunshine being redundant, yet the sunshine is bitter sweet. This lack of rain equates to low snow pack on Mt. Hood, my water wholesaler. None the less the news has been dismal. All I can say is that I'm glad I filed bankruptcy 2 years ago, I don't have any children or nephews fighting in Iraq and my social secuirty checks and medicare insurance is there in case of a crisis. Kevin Drum's post comes close to documenting the latest atrocities......

THE YEAR IN REVIEW....I've been in a rotten mood lately, a feeling that I blame on the 109th Congress. Here's a summary of their first few weeks of activity:


Passed: A tort reform bill that makes it harder for ordinary citizens to sue corporations who harm them.


Coming soon: A bankruptcy bill that will make it harder for distressed workers to declare bankruptcy and will increase credit card company profits by an estimated $1 billion.

Coming soon: A transportation bill that adds two unpaid hours onto the work days of short-haul and long-haul truckers.


In progress: Changes to Social Security that will almost certainly include benefit cuts for current workers.


In progress: Making permanent a set of tax cuts that primarily helps the upper class.


And it's only the middle of March. Can anyone name even one thing the Bush administration has done this year — or is proposing to do — that would benefit ordinary workers? Do they even pretend to care any more?


They care if a tax break or loophole is part of the deal.

BTW, lets not forget the Arctic Wildlife Refuge. Iffen you agree with the following statement...Sign a petition, here.

As your constituent, I strongly urge you to vote against ANY budget measure that would allow oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The inclusion of any such measure in the budget is an unacceptable sneak attack on our precious wildlife.





No comments: