My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

10.06.2009

Why I Have A Dog.


Interesting article in the New York Times today on the health benefits of pets.....

“The human-animal bond bypasses the intellect and goes straight to the heart and emotions and nurtures us in ways that nothing else can,” said Karin Winegar, whose book “Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform” (Da Capo, 2008) chronicles human-animal interactions. “We’ve seen this from coast to coast, whether it’s disabled children at a riding center in California or a nursing home in Minnesota, where a woman with Alzheimer’s could not recognize her husband but she could recognize their beloved dog.” NYT Link
Having a dog has alleviated my depression immensely. How? I don't know or can't find words to explain it. It just makes a difference. By the way, I am also working on making a park in Corvallis an official off leash dog area (Porter Park). The interaction between dog lovers and pets has given me a strong connection with others in my community that wasn't there before.






~Bumper Sticker Siting~

Save The Humans..Health Care For All

Kindness To Animals Makes The World A Better Place To Live

Don't Blame Me I Voted For Hillary

People Laugh At Me Because I'm Different, I Laugh At You Because You Are All The Same


Bookmark and Share

No comments: