My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.25.2010

Better Living With Cobalamins

After years of feeling tired I have had a major change in my energy level. Why oh why has it taken me so long to try this..this being Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 exists in several forms and contains the mineral cobalt , so compounds with vitamin B12 activity are collectively called "cobalamins"[ reference link]. This is truly an amazing transformation for me. I spent the winter battling excessive day time sleepiness. Naps two times a day, were typical, as was going to bed at 8:30 -9:00 pm and sleeping til 7. I would look at my unfinished projects and wonder when I would ever finish them.

My Physician's assistant prescribed Provigil, a very expensive narcolepsy drug that didn't do a damn thing. I was getting more frustrated by each day. Finally, I decided to try 500 mcgs(micrograms) of Vitamin B12. I was already taking B complex supplements but this dose was above the RDA and was taken under the tongue, or sublingually. I noticed more energy immediately. It's been 3 weeks now and I am up to 1000 mcg. The difference has been enough for me to finish some projects like updating my mad cow news articles which I was behind on. It was last April when I updated those articles and I did them all in one night. I am hopeful for the first time in years...and happy and I sure hope this lasts. For some reason my body doesn't absorb this nutrient through my digestive system so it makes me wonder what else I am not absorbing. (perhaps Vitamin D and calcium, as I have osteopena). Vitamin B12 does not have an upper limit on its toxicity so it is safe, too. I know some of my readers can relate to being tired all the time so I just wanted to offer some hope.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: