My photo
Corvallis, OR, United States
My personal obsession with prion diseases with smidges of music I like and rescue dog advocacy from a disabled Oregonian.

3.18.2003

Song in the Head: and it's one, two, three what are we fighting for?

In Season: trilliums, flowering plums.

Conversation With Two Fifteen Year Old Boys About Enlisting

A few years ago, I took my son and his friend out to dinner. To keep them entertained while we waited for our food I asked them if they were planning on joining the military. Both shook their heads no and agreed they would be going to college. I prodded them further and asked if they would go to war if they were drafted. They both did not want to go somewhere and get shot by guns so they devied this plan.

They would move to Antelope, Oregon. Wear nothing but robes and call everyone Brethren. They cracked me up that day, but today I am proud. In college and safe, just like Moms like.

No comments: